8 Ball In The Wind

Saturday, February 13, 2021

RoadTrip 2022: Gathering Supplies

 

Since I know that I will be camping at least half of the time during this trip, I know that I will have to pack camping gear that can be loaded onto the bike.  Some I already have, and I am going through and acquiring more that will be of better use for on a bike than what I may have.  I am still going through things I have and deciding what I need, and what I don't.  The tent is rather old, but still in good shape, and is easy enough to put up and take down, and stores one the bike easily enough.  I have picked up a new folding entrenching tool, a new knife, and a folding solar-powered LED lamp that I can pack under the cargo net so that it can be charged during the day as we ride.  I have also bought a new hatchet to replace the old heavy one I keep in my camping box.  It will be much lighter on the bike than the old one and on a long journey, the light weight will be a benefit.  

I have a sleeping bag that is suitable, and an extra blanket rolled up with it for any nights that might require a little more warmth for these old bones.  Clothes I am not too worried about, as the Navy taught me how to fold things small enough to leave plenty of space, and I will have plenty of time between now and the time we leave to get anything I need if something wears out.

The one thing I am looking for is an old-style mess kit.  The pan, plate, and utensils are self-contained and small enough to easily fit into a saddlebag or my old seabag strapped to the sissybar.  A small backpacker's stove and fuel are on my list to buy.  But beyond that, at least at this point, I have everything else I will need for a long 14-day long road trip.  Although, as I continue to get closer to our departure date, I am sure I will find something that I just can't do without, or that I have to replace something I already have.  I am sure I will find things in my first-aid/survival pouch that probably needs to be replaced.  But I will deal with that when I go through it in the coming weeks.

It's funny, but the more I get things ready for this trip, the more excited I become for it.  It is going to be an adventure and with my grandson, and friends who have said they would like to ride along for at least part of it, it ought to be one to remember for the rest of my life.

Catch ya on the road sometime...



No comments:

Post a Comment