8 Ball In The Wind

Friday, May 3, 2013

Angels On Overtime


I think either I have a really fast Angel, or maybe a couple of them watching over me.  Over the last 300 miles or so, the clutch on the bike had gotten way out of adjustment.  I wanted to get it adjusted before the wife and I headed up into the Tacoma area to post fliers for a couple runs I have coming up.  When I pulled the derby cover on Gypsy, I had to take a couple seconds to register what I was looking at.  The locknut for the clutch adjusting screw had gone AWOL.

There was only one place it could have gone.  Down into the primary.  After pulling the cover off, I found it.  All beat to rat shit.  Even the threads inside the nut were hosed.  Don't ask me how, but they were.  I am just thankful that it didn't get bounced up and lock up one of the sprockets.  That would have made things REALLY interesting, REALLY fast.

Luckily NAPA here in town had a couple of the nuts I needed, so I was able to replace it and get the clutch adjusted without too much problem.  But without a new gasket, I used RTV which seems to leak a bit.  That or the drain plug is leaking.  Which is going to be a pain in the ass since it has been hosed since I bought the bike in 2009.  But either way I'll have it fixed in plenty of time for both runs I have coming in the next couple weeks.

At least life isn't dull.  If it ain't one thing, it's something else entirely.

Catch ya on the road sometime...






No comments:

Post a Comment