8 Ball In The Wind

Saturday, March 17, 2012

One Step Forward Two Steps Back

I've been a bit busy with work and other shit lately, and just havent had the time to sit down and post anything interesting.  I'm not sure what the hell is going on with the bike.  With every step forward I make, I end up having to stop go back and fix something else and then get back to it again.  The way work and life in general has been lately I havent been able to really set everything else aside and just wrench on the bike.  It seems like I have only had maybe an hour here and there to actually do anything.  Then, like I said, I end up having to back track to fix something else, because I find some other problem, or something minor but VERY inconvenient breaks.  Thats what happened yesterday...I was removing the old braided oil lines, and had the top one that connects just above the oil pump almost off the nipple, when something spooked  the wifes English Mastiff who had been laying nearby, and she slams into me.
Now, the nipple that was perpendicular to the case was suddenly at about a 45 degree angle.  It had broke off flush with the case.  No big problem...just use an easy-out to extract it.  Except I cant get the easy-out to really seat into it because the tranny is in the way.  I cant get more than a soft tap on it with the room I have available.  So I have to pull the tranny, so I can use the easy-out to extract the broken of threads of the nipple.  One step forward (I got the line off) and two steps back (I got to pull the tranny again)...aint life just grand?
But hey, that is what life is about, isnt it?  Overcoming adversity and all that shit...I'll just keep on hitting it, and I will be back up and on the road soon.  I doubt if I'll be making any LONG rides anyway this year, as I think I have a bad base gasket on the rear cylinder.  For now, I cant afford to fix it, and it isnt a REAL major issue (YET) so I am just going to fix what I can now.  Then I'll flog her until this winter, and then hopefully have a nice place to work on her properly, or the cash to send the motor to the shop to have it gone through.  One thing at a time.

Catch ya on the road sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment