8 Ball In The Wind

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Busy...Busy...Busy...

I haven't been on here like I should, but then the last week or so has been hectic.  I got a call to come in for an interview on a job last week.  It turned out to be a 200 mile round trip after they threw in the pre-employment drug test. I got hired and was expecting an 8 to maybe 10 hour workday plus a 100 mile roundtrip commute.  WRONG!!!  It turns out, the shifts were 12-13 hours long, and the commute added almost 21/1 hours onto that.  I was literally making it home in time to go to bed and sleep 5-6 hours and head off to work again and learn the route I was going to be driving with a 45ft tour bus.
Needless to say, that was almost a killer.  The first night I almost went off the road in the rain coming off "The Divide" thru the twisties because of a couple assholes running their high beams blinded me in the middle of the turns.  The second night I got word they wanted me to spend a week in Oregon running the bus around Portland during a convention.  I get lost in Portland anyways...doing it in a 45 ft bus was bound to be worse.
So...I am back on the look-out for a job without 12-13 hr days.  I need to find something, and I am sure I will.
Also, I am organizing the 5th Annual Memorial Run for a friend of mine who I went to Jr High with.  He had just run back into his high School sweetheart, and they were about to get married...he had just been elected Mayor of our little town...and everything was looking GREAT!!  That is until he died suddenly at 48.
Besides that, I found out a wonderful woman I used to know passed suddenly, and her 'Celebration of Life' is on Friday.  So I have been getting things ready to attend on the bike.  This has also had the unforeseen, but appreciated effect of putting me back into contact with people I used to know well back in the 80s and 90s but lost contact with.
As always, life is trying to pitch a no hitter, and I am at bat again.  But as a lifelong Cubs fan I will remain undaunted in the face of adversity...or some such shit.  I know things will happen when they are meant to, and the tricky part is to be here when things are meant to happen.


Catch ya on the road sometime...




No comments:

Post a Comment