8 Ball In The Wind

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Doing What I Have To Do


The one thing about the weather in the Pacific Northwest, in April, is that it is ever changing.  The old line that goes; "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes.  Or go five miles down the road" had to have been invented on an April day.  That is just how it is.  Sun shining one minute; then a torrential downpour and wind for ten or fifteen minutes.  Always changing, always different.  Yet, always the same every April.  Spring in the "Pacific North Wet".

This Saturday is the Spanaway Chapter of A.B.A.T.E. of Washingtons "End of Winter" Poker Run.  The weather forecast is for 40% chance of rain and 52° F.  So today I went out and made sure my nearly 20 year old oil skin duster was waterproofed, and I tied a bandana between the fork sliders on Gypsy.  The bandana should stop most of the spray off the front tire, and the oil skin should keep me dry when we run into  the rain.  I could have bolted the front fender back on Gypsy, but I prefer not to run a front fender.  It is just the way I have always liked my bikes to look, and I have learned tricks to deal wiht the tire spray over the years.

Several of the people from around here are only going to go on the run "if the weather cooperates".  But I figure, if you wait for good weather here in the PNW, you will probably only ride about three months a year.  That doesn't work for me.  So I have learned how to deal with what I need to, and just enjoy the ride.  That is what it should really be about.  Just going and riding.  Not all the other added bullshit that can take away from the enjoyment, and make it a drag to go riding at times.

As long as I can just get out and enjoy the road, I'll be a happy man.

Catch you on the road sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment