8 Ball In The Wind

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Pulling Jugs

With probably 80,000 miles on her (I havent had a functional speedometer since the winter of 2009.  So I can only estimate the mileage, but it was already at 45,000 back then) Gypssy was beginning to leak oil pretty heavily when she was running.  The base gaskets on both cylinders were allowing small bubbles of oil to escape, and oil would blow back onto the belt and rear wheel.  Since I have this week off, I decided that it was the perfect time to replace those base gaskets.  Of course, that meant replacing all the other gaskets in the top end as well.

Removing the base gasket remnants

Things went along smoothly enough.  At least until I replaced the rear cylinder base gasket, and slide the rear jug back into place.  That is when I couldn't find the hose clamps I had set aside to use as ring compressors.  So, I put an end to the days work, and will go into NAPA in the morning and buy a hose clamp.  Then I can get back to finishing the job, and having Gypsy up and running again in time for this Saturdays A.B.A.T.E. of Washington Board of Directors meeting.  I just feel really stupid going to a motorcycle organization meeting in a car, and not on my bike.    Besides, the weather is suppose to be good this weekend, so it'll be a good ride.  I'm planning on having Friday as a break-in ride to double check that I don't have any more leaks.

Still have some things to get together, and make sure she is ready for.  I have some big runs coming up over the next few months, so Gypsy needs to be in the best of shape to make them all.

Catch you on the road sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment