8 Ball In The Wind

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Score!!


Our microwave gave up the ghost suddenly on Friday while I was at work.  So yesterday, as I was working on my second or thrid cup of morning coffee, and trying to figure out what I was going to do about fixing the kitchen sink drain permanently, the wife says there is an Estate sale a few blocks away.  She figured maybe we could find a "new" microwave there.  So I finish my coffee, and grab a jacket, and off we went.  

When we get there, just inside the door of the garage where they have everything sitting is a VERY nice, older microwave for twenty-five.  I ask if they'll take twenty, and the gal says "sure."  Before I paid her the twenty bucks, Robin saw a nice little shelf to hold our excess DVDs for ten bucks.  Well, it looks like I need to make a quick run to the bank.  Now remember, I live in a little town, and nothing seems to be more than about a half mile away, if that far.

By the time I got back, Robin had bought a dutch oven for camping for five dollars. I hadn't even really gotten a chance to look around at anything much yet.  So I took a look around and saw enough to really make me wish I had a few hundred bucks in the bank.  Floor stand drill press, belt sander, mid size lathe, chop saw, and more.  All of it in really good, or like new shape.  Then I saw a three piece rollaway for $150.  I checked it out, and was mildly surprised to see it still had stuff in about half the drawers.  What surprised me most though, was that most of the tools in it were old, made in America tools; an old Craftsman 1/2 inch drive ratchet with extensions and sockets,  several Plumb combination wrenches, two tap and die sets in the boxes, an old inclinometer (to use when trying to set the desired rake on a frame, or finding what the rake is), and several other cool tools that would usually easily cost sixty to seventy-five bucks to buy at a garage sale.  I was going to have to make another run to the bank, so I asked if they'd take a hundred and twenty for the rollaway.  The three people running the sale discussed it, and finally agreed to a price of one twenty.

When I got back with the cash, I loaded everything into Robins SHO Taurus, and we got the Hell out of there.  I didn't have enough money in the bank to buy anything else that was usable to me.  So we headed home and unloaded the car.  As I rolled it past the bikes in the shed, and into my little work room I took stock of what I had just brought home for $120.  Not bad at all, if I do say so myself.  Although, the new rear tire for the Ironhead is going to have to wait for a bit now.  

Here's a look at what I picked up for $120.  Not a bad score at all.







The big white blob in the bottom photo is actually a bearing grease press inside a ziploc bag.  I won't need to use my hands to pack bearings anymore and get grease all over everything.  I've been wanting one of these for years, and just never got around to buying one.  I'm just going to have to follow what the little sticker I have on my old rollaway syas: "Don't ask to borrow my tools, and I won't ask to fuck your wife."  Now I just need to get going and find the parts I need to finish the Ironhead Frankenbike, and do the top end on Gypsy Rose.

Catch you on the road sometime...



No comments:

Post a Comment