8 Ball In The Wind

Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Route (So Far)



The more I look at it, the more I wonder if there is ANYTHING worth checking out after a quick stop at Wall Drug, in the town of Wall, South Dakota.  Well, at least between there and Milwaukee anyway.  From Milwaukee it is a more or less straight run south to Chicago, so that isnt a big deal.

Between Morton and Wall, there are several things to stop for a few minutes and scope out.  Some even thought provoking maybe.  But for a guy like me, who is from the land of green forests and mountains, the great plains have never had a great draw to them.  Too flat, and not enough trees.  I like National Forests, but National Grasslands just never have really done anything for me.

Maybe since we'll be talking it fairly easy the first couple days, this offers a great reason to grab a fistful of throttle and just hunker down behind the bars.  The more I look at the maps, I just don't see anything worth stopping for, except gas and grub.  So maybe the upper plains will just be a blur as we do some low level flying.  Me with my 22 year old 80 incher trying to keep up with my brother and his 2 year old 96 incher.  Might make for a good chase.

I haven't been in Minnesota since the 70's, so I haven't got a clue what is there outside of some fuzzy memories of mostly flatland with a few small forests.  If any of you happen to know of any worthy places to stop, I would appreciate the suggestions.  I know if I had the time, and some extra cash, it would be worth the extra two day round trip to ride to Hell, Michigan.  Been wanting to ride 'The Highway To Hell" for decades now.  But, maybe I'll save that for another long run.

Catch ya on the road sometime...



No comments:

Post a Comment