8 Ball In The Wind

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Change Of Plans

I have decided to change my plans on the Frankenbike a bit.  Mostly due to my lack of financially deep pockets, and my desire that the bike be a rigid. So I will be staying with the rolling chassis I have and getting a pre-'70 Ironhead motor (with title of course) when I can do so.  

Besides the headache of trying to get a title to match the '75 XLH cases I have; that would still leave me with no numbers on the frame, which in '75 is where the VIN was.  So, if I kept the cases I have, and then found a '75 frame with title, I'd still have to hardtail it.  OR, I could sell the cases, and related covers, and look for a pre-'70 motor with paperwork.

I already have a rigid roller.  So why not just build it the way I want and put a motor in it?  I can't think of a reason why not.  

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  Going to build the roller as if I already had the motor to go into it.  It is going to be a pretty bare bones ride anyway, so it isn't like I am going to be fabbing up a bunch of shit that I'll have to yard off later to fit the motor in place. All I am really going to need to put on the frame is a mount for the rear brake caliper (on the left side of course, so it won't be in the way of the chain), oil tank, and seat mounts.  I can't think of anything that will interfere with putting a pre-70 900cc motor in the frame.  But I am sure I'll run into something along the way, and I'll have to just adapt the plan a bit.

  I already have the fuel tank, fenders, and an oil tank. The front fork sliders are set up for dual disc, but I plan on only using one disc.  So I am going to mount the fender, front end, fuel and oil tanks, brake rotors  that I have to the frame.  Then I'll find and mount a pair of calipers, build a basic wiring harness, add head and taillight (and maybe a pair of carriage lights for old times sake?), and a set of 6 bend pullback handlebars.  Since I rode Limey bikes for many years, I shouldn't have too much difficulty with the shifter being on the right side. I do plan on making the kickstand from a bent wrench, but I think I'll have a spark plug socket welded into it to make it easier to put down and kick back up.

Since I decided all of this, I already added the first couple of coats of paint to the frame, and it doesn't look too bad.  I'll do some touch up tomorrow, and add another coat.  Then I'll start putting it all back together again.  

The look I have in my mind is something of a mix between what was running around here in the Pacific NW back in the late 70's and 80's, and what I like seeing today.  Which still kind of fits with the whole "Frankenbike" concept.  Bits and pieces from several bikes and era's combined into my version of a garage built, Sportster powered, death machine.

If it doesn't NEED to be on the bike to make it go, make it stop, or let me see and be seen as I roll down the road, it probably won't be on this thing.  

Catch ya on the road sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment