8 Ball In The Wind

Monday, June 3, 2013

I Wonder About Myself Sometimes...


Recently I have been having to adjust Gypsys clutch a lot more than usual.  With clutch plates only a couple years old, and a new compensating sprocket, I knew the clutch itself and most everything in the primary was in good shape.  I was over at a friends place yesterday, and we got to talking about the problem.  Everytime he suggested checking something, I was able to say I had already checked or replaced the part with a new one.  That is, until he finally had a lightbulb go off over his head and asked about the clutch cable.  It turns out he had one still in the package in his garage that he let me have for dirt cheap.

I brought it home, replaced the clutch cable that was on Gypsy with the one that he sold me, and I was amazed at the difference between the two.  The new one was smooth and flexible.  The old ones housing was so stiff it was hard to bend or straighten out.  Thats when I got to thinking...I have had that same clutch cable on the bike since I bought her in April of '09.  I've put about 40,000 miles on her since then.  No telling how long it had been on the bike before that.

I should have replaced that cable a long time ago.  I've replaced so many other things on her, why the fuck didn't I replace the clutch cable?  It really makes me wonder about myself sometimes when i do stupid shit like that.  Well, now I am going to finish off a cup of coffee, and head out and adjust the clutch with the new cable and see if that resolves the issue with the clutch I have been having.  If not, I am back to square one.  At least Gypsy keeps my life interesting.

Catch ya on the road sometime...


No comments:

Post a Comment