8 Ball In The Wind

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Camping Trip



I have been wanting to get a few people together and have a camping trip into a remote area for a while now.  I posted a picture very similar to this one I took from the Gifford Pinchot Nat'l Forest's website on Facebook, saying I was "thinking" of going camping in this area and asked if anyone wanted to ride along with me.  I was amazed at how few people even knew these falls were in Washington state.  This is the last of four falls that the river goes over within about three miles.  So the river drops nearly 120 feet in just those three miles.

There is a Forest Service campground in the trees on the left side of this photo.  That is where I was planning on camping at.  Because of it's close proximity to the falls.  But if the campground is full, this area has plenty of 'free' camping within 150 feet of the road.  So one way or another I am planning on making this a camping trip to remember.

I'm going to have to pack an extra one gallon gas can along with because after topping off the tanks in Randle there won't be any fuel along the way until we return.  Which will be about 130 miles later.  And that doesn't cover any sight seeing miles that I am sure will get put on checking out the numerous waterfalls in the area, as well as any other sights I might find to check out.

So that makes it over a two hour ride each way, without stops.  Riding deep into the heart of the Gifford Pinchot Nat'l Forest between Mt Adams and Mt St Helens.  The roads are paved Forest Service roads through mountains and along rivers.  That means fairly narrow, two lane twisting roads.  It also means that the roads may not be in the best of condition since they are only open during the summer months after the snow has melted away.  So this is looking to be a minor adventure.  I'm hoping it will be a good one.
Care to ride along?

Catch ya on the road sometime...



No comments:

Post a Comment