8 Ball In The Wind

Monday, July 16, 2012

I Thought It Felt Weird


Up until just a couple years ago, the bridge in this photo had two way traffic on it.  I crossed it on a regular basis from the time I was a kid until just before the other bridge was built and opened to carry eastbound traffic.  Hell, I can remember when this bridge was the widest part of the highway, and the rest of it was only a two lane road...but that was back in the 60s.  


Anyway, I had to cross the Narrows Bridge on Saturday to go to a big family BBQ.  All the time I was riding across the bridge I had this weird feeling.  I thought it was just because I wasn't used to it being one way after almost 50 years of crossing it.  But not until after my niece (who crosses it on a VERY regular basis) commented on the photo I posted on Facebook did I realize why.  The state never painted over the old yellow paint on the center grating.  So all the way across the bridge my subconscious was trying to tell me to get back on the other side of the yellow line.  No wonder it felt weird...I was driving on the wrong side of the highway!!  Who'd have thunk it?


Catch ya on the road sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment