8 Ball In The Wind

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Goosenecking




I was riding back into Morton this evening with Patrick, and I got to thinking about the frame for my Ironhead project.  There really isnt a whole lot I'm going to need to do with it, but there is one thing I can do to really make her look more like what I have in mind.  I can 'gooseneck' her.  Instead of stretching the downtubes or the backbone, I can add a sweep towards the front that will push the lower end of the neck forward a couple of inches.  That will increase the rake without jacking the bike way up.  Helping to give her a much more elegant look.


If I was better skilled wiht Photoshop I would have been able to change the rake of the front forks instead of just making the frame gooseneck a bit.  I think, if you compare the two pics, you can see what I am thinking of doing to Frankenbikes frame.  Of course, this will mean I will have to use fork tubes that are several inches overstock.  But, if I have to, well then I'll just have to live with having a raked out long bike.

I do have a off the wall idea to shorten up the trail, so that the front end won't "flop" from side to side at low speed, and will handle corners a bit better.  I won't go into it now because I have never seen a bike with hydraulic forks set up like I have in mind.  It may not work, and if it doesn't, well then only me and my fabricator will know for sure.  I'm not even sure my idea will work with hydraulic fork sliders, but I am curious to find out.

All I will say, is if my idea works, it will be more than just melding parts from different bikes together.  I will be using elements from different types of fork configurations to decrease the trail on a raked out, and extended front end.  I'll keep you posted if I get it to all work out.  Until then...

I'll catch you on the road sometime...





No comments:

Post a Comment