8 Ball In The Wind

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Man At Work


I started back to work this week.  But I'm doing more than just driving the bus.  I am also the cook at the Head Start center in Randle.  The old cook left for a job with the local school district for more money, and more hours.  We got cut-backs due to the government sequestration, so now I have to run the kitchen.  Whats really wierd, is all the food I have to make is supposed to be HEALTHY.  I mean whole grain, whole wheat, and all that good healthy, low fat shit.

But since this is a federally funded program, there is paperwork up the ass.  I have to keep a log of the temperature inside the refridgerator and freezer everyday, and how much chlorine is in my water for sanitizing the dishes after I wash and rinse them.  I think I spend as much time doing paperwork as I do actually cooking and cleaning.

Which still boggles my mind that I have made it through two days already.  I have had to make Gingerbread Pancakes, Turkey Chili, bake Cornbread, Bran & Blueberry Muffins, and all from scratch.  Thank God I can read the instructions in the recipe book.  'Cause when I usually cook something, it either involves a barbecue grill, or I'm opening a can of something and heating it up.  This baking and cooking from scratch shit is way out of my comfort zone!!

So, if I don't post quite as much for a couple of weeks while I try to get the hang of this, that's probably why.  This is a whole new deal, and I haven't gone this far out on a limb in a long time.  Of course, I have other irons in the fire too; like organizing a chapter of A.B.A.T.E. here locally so the members dont have to ride an hour or more each way for a 40 minute meeting,  trying to get the rally moving forward, and also the combined effort of keeping the Ironhead project going, while being one of the FNG's on the Quad Cam Bastards Forum and all that entails.  Can you see why I feel like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest?  As long as even half of the shit I got going comes together (including looking for a full time job with decent pay), I'll call it good to go.

All this, and I am still planning on making a run to Chicago and back (the LOOOONG way) next summer.  So, as long as nothing breaks totally loose and brings my world to a sudden and violent end, I'll be around.  Probably still trying to figure out how the Hell I keep getting myself into the shit I do...and even more importantly, how I keep getting myself landing on my feet when I do get into the shit.  When I can get something together, I'll let you all know.  So, until then...

I'll catch ya on the road sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment